I’m following a 16 week marathon training plan. With 4 weeks down, that means I’m 25% there. I’ve worked up to much more than 25% of the distance to 26.2, so that seems a sign that training is going well. I’ve got some concerns as we move on to the remaining 75% though. More on that later.
First let’s recap this week:
Speedwork? Check! I did this track workout at an actual track! I don’t think I’d run on a track since high school! 10min warmup, 5x1000m (target was to run each in 4:44…I couldn’t figure out how to see time AND distance on my watch when it was set for the intervals so I tried my best to hold a decent pace…actual times were 4:38, 4:51, 4:58, 5:06 and 4:57). Now that I know how to do that on my watch (thanks, Melyssa!) I can try to hit those paces better next time. Took a 400m rest interval between each 1000 and ended with a short (very short) cooldown. I got to see the sunrise over the Middle School Track with a group of about a half dozen rock star runners training for Twin Cities Marathon with me. I’m so happy they let me crash their Tuesday track workout, and I hope to make many more of these Tuesday sunrise track workouts between now and October 6!
Tempo Run? Check! This was an early sunrise run with Shaun…as the weeks wear on, it’s becoming clearer and clearer that I definitely have the best running friends on the planet. Making it to the starting line (and then across the finish line!) of the Twin Cities Marathon will be largely attributable to the positive running mojo, encouragement and miles of smiles I get to share with my BRFs over the next few months. Back to the tempo stats: 1mi warmup (8:58), 4 tempo miles (target: 8:34, actual 8:23, 8:30, 8:37, 8:33), and 1mi cooldown (9:02).
Long Run? Check! 17.48 total! Ran a few early with Heather, Steph, and Shaun, then 75min with the MOTR Sunday night distance group. Still had almost 5 to go after we finished up, and Shaun offered to bike those with me (THANK YOU – can’t say for certain they would have happened otherwise!). Kept pace pretty between 9:30-10:00 (target was 10:02). Problem was that my Achilles hurt with every step. Now I’m icing my Achilles…and will be doing lots of icing and stretching to calm it down and loosen it up.
Cross Training? Check! I biked during Sarah’s (my oldest daughter) swimming lesson on Monday, and it felt really good to do that on the day following last week’s long run. Might need to make a habit of that! I also biked before my Friday morning MOTR class, so I’ll happily report two biking days this week! Add to that two easy runs with my MOTR classes – ran intervals with intermediates on Friday, and the beginners on Saturday morning.
Here’s the POW (problem of the week) though…
Saturday morning during MOTR class, I noticed that my Achilles hurt a little bit while I was running those intervals (at about a 10 min pace, so I know I wasn’t pushing myself past what I was capable!). I thought that was a bit odd, but didn’t think much of it. When it came time for my long run Sunday night (did 17 instead of 20 since I had to cut last week’s planned 17 down to 13 on account of pouring rain!)…my Achilles still hurt. Hurt with every step. There are a LOT of steps in 17.48 miles. Now I’m worried. Really worried. I’ve been reading about Achilles Tendinitis. I’ve been icing. I’ve been elevating. I’ve been taking vitamin I (ibuprofen). I’ve got it taped up with KT tape. I rested completed on Monday after my long run (unless you count emptying a moving van for my friend’s parents as cross training!). I’m slowing down and cutting back mileage. Still it hurts. Still I’m worried.
I’m hoping this is a blip on the radar screen of my marathon training that quickly passes out of range. I’ve done lots of googling, soliciting advice from the cyber running community, and friends who are coaches and physical therapists. I’m contemplating how I can modify my training plan so that I can allow my body time to recover and heal, while at the same time, not sacrificing the endurance and work I’ve put in this far. It’s a delicate balance and I still don’t have it quite figured out. I’m working on it, though.
And as I contemplate a potential injury…or at least dialing it back a little to prevent an injury from cropping up or getting worse…I am reminded that I am running to honor those who can’t run. I have been blessed with compassionate and generous family and friends who have gotten me almost to 25% of my fundraising goal when I am 25% through training. I’d love it if my fundraising could keep pace with my training…please check out my fundraising page!
Now for the numbers:
Miles run so far in 2013: 630.53
Miles run so far in marathon training: 129.63
Fundraising total: $441.20 (goal is $2000 – please help me!)
Days until Twin Cities Marathon: 82
Thanks for coming on this journey with me. Together we can make a world of difference.